What is the Accessible India Campaign, and how to register online?
Accessible India Campaign | Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan | Accessible India Campaign Registration | Accessible India Campaign Portal | Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan Mobile App
What is the Accessible India Campaign?
Accessible India Campaign: According to Census 2011 data, 2.68 crore people had a disability in India, which was 2.21 per cent of the total population at that time. The Indian government has enacted several laws to protect the rights of people with disabilities, but people with disabilities have not yet fully benefited from them.
Sections 44, 45, and 46 of the Persons with Disabilities Act, 1955 have protected the rights of the disabled in transportation, roads and the built environment. The Government of India has amended the Persons with Disabilities Act, 1955, making it the Right of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016.
People with disabilities could get a barrier-free place in all public areas and transport systems with respect in society. Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi launched Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan (Accessible India Campaign) from Vigyan Bhawan Delhi on 3 Dec 2015 on International Day of the Disabled. The government behind starting the Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan believes that a person is not handicapped because of limits and abilities but because of social order.
The main objective of the Government of India behind the launch of Accessible India Campaign is to create a hassle-free and pleasant environment for disabled people across the country. Through this campaign, the government envisages an inclusive society where equal opportunities can be provided for the progress and development of persons with disabilities. So that PwDs can lead productive, safe and dignified lives.
If you want to get the detailed information regarding the Accessible India Campaign, then definitely read my post till the end. Because through this post, I will discuss all the aspects of the Accessible India campaign in detail.
Overview of Accessible India Campaign
|Name of Scheme||Accessible India Campaign( Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan)|
|Name of Portal||Sugamya Bharat Portal (Accessible India Portal)|
|Scheme Launched by||Shri Narender Modi, Prime Minister of India (on International Day of the Disabled)|
|Scheme Launched on||13 Dec, 2015 ( From Vigyan Bhawan Delhi)|
|Tagline||Accessible India-Empowered India|
|Purpose of Scheme||To ensure access to the physical environment, transport, information and communication and other facilities and services being provided to the public in the urban/rural area by respecting other people with disabilities.|
|Related Department||Disabled Public Empowerment Department, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India|
|Youtube Channel||Click Here|
|Official Website||Click Here|
|Twitter Account||Click Here|
|Facebook Account||Click Here|
Purpose of Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan
The main objective of the Accessible India Campaign is to provide a life of self-reliance by giving equal opportunities for PwDs to participate in all walks of life. The main aim of this campaign is to develop a physical environment, transport, information and communication ecosystem for the disabled. Under the Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan, the Government of India is undertaking large-scale awareness campaigns for universal access to persons with disabilities with a commitment to social and economic change.
Accessible India Campaign is a nationwide campaign launched by the ‘Department of Disability Empowerment’, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India to provide universal access to persons with disabilities. Through this campaign, the government wants to develop an inclusive society in which people with disabilities can be given equal opportunities for growth and development with ease.
India is a partner of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Handicapped. According to Article 9 of the United Nations Convention, each signing country is bound to ensure that persons with disabilities have access to others, physical environment, transport, information and communication and other facilities and services being provided to the public in urban/rural areas.
Under the Sugamya Bharat Yojana, work is being done by the Government of India in the following areas.
- Increasing the proportion of accessible government buildings: – Accessible building refers to a structure that does not cause any inconvenience for the disabled person to enter and use their facilities. The Government of India is increasing the proportion of such buildings accessible to PwDs under the Sugamya Bharat Yojana. These buildings are being built following the ISO 21542: 2011 standard of accessibility. While constructing these buildings, special attention is given to the facilities of the disabled.
- Increasing the proportion of accessible airports: – The ratio of accessible airports is being grown under the Sugamya Bharat scheme. Various facilities at the airports are being made friendly to people with disabilities, such as – by entry, boarding the plane, getting off the plane, ticket counter, toilet and other facilities.
- Increasing the proportion of accessible railway stations: – Under the Sugamya Bharat scheme, the ratio of accessible railway stations is being raised. Various facilities at railway stations such as – by entry, boarding the train, getting off the train, taking tickets from the ticket counter, toilets etc., are being made friendly to the disabled.
- Increasing the proportion of accessible public transport: – The ratio of accessible transport systems is being expanded under the Sugamya Bharat scheme. The disabled person can be provided with an equal opportunity to independently use the public and private transport infrastructure. According to the revised National Urban Transport Policy (NUTP) -2014, universal accessibility has been included in all plans and their implementation.
- Increase the proportion of accessible public documents and websites: – Public records (documents issued by the central government or state government like laws, rules, reports, forms and information documents etc.) are being made available in accessible formats under the Sugamya Bharat Yojana. Through the Accessible India Scheme, the Government of India ensures that the existing website is prepared according to ISO / IEC 40500: 2012 so that even the handicapped can benefit from the information.
- Increase the proportion of accessible sign language in the medium of communication: – Under the accessible India scheme, sign language is being encouraged in the field of communication and information technology. For example, news and other programs are being made in sign language for Divyaganjano.
What is the ingredient of the Accessible India Campaign?
- Built Environment Accessibility: Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan aims to provide an accessible physical environment for every PwD. To achieve this goal, the government has been removing barriers and barriers arising for the disabled in schools, hospital facilities and various work sites, and indoor and outdoor facilities. Large buildings and ramps, corridors, footpaths, parking, entrances, emergency exits, toilets, lighting, alarm systems, etc., external and internal public places, are also to be made disabled-friendly to provide a conducive environment for the differently-abled.
- Transport System Accessibility: – Transport includes air travel, bus, taxi and train, an essential component of independent life. Under the Accessible India Campaign, an effort is being made to provide disabled persons with a dignified right to use public and private transport systems with dignity and freedom.
- Information and Communication Echo System Accessibility: – Information provides an opportunity for any person. Information is related to reading the tag, entering a hall, participating in a program, reading the health information booklet, reading the train timetable, reading the information on the website, etc. Under the Accessible India Campaign, the Government of India is to curb the social constraints and inaccessible patterns that come in the way of all the basic facilities of Divyangjans so that there is no obstacle obtaining and using the information in daily life.
Sugamya Bharat Portal and Sugamya Bharat App
An official website has been set up for the successful implementation of Accessible India Campaign by the Department of Disability Empowerment of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India. A web portal named Sugamya Bharat has been developed.
On 2 Mar 2021, Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment Shri Thawar Chand Gehlot launched the Crowd Sourcing Mobile Application- ‘Sugamya Bharat App’ through virtual, advancing Accessible India Campaign. Also launched a handbook called ‘Access-The Photo Digest’. The Department of Empowerment, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India has launched Sugamya Bharat Mobile App and Handbook and a website for crowdsourcing of requests about inaccessible locations.
Through the Sugamya Bharat mobile app, any citizen can inform the government about inaccessible public places such as schools, hospitals, government offices. By making a photo or video of such an inaccessible place, one can send it to ‘Sugamya Bharat Portal’. To make the building fully accessible to such information by the government, it will conduct feasibility checks and financial autonomy and take action to request necessary changes.
The government seeks the participation of large companies and public sector undertakings in the Accessible India application and portal, which can help the government conduct accessibility checks, ease conversion of buildings/transport and websites.
According to the government, the accessible India app crowdsourcing mobile application is a tool to increase the sensitivity in the built environment, transportation sector, ICT ecosystem, the three main pillars of the accessible India campaign in India. The application provides five such core features, four of which are directly related to enhancing accessibility, while the fifth feature is for people with disabilities with coronavirus issues.
Goals of Accessible India Campaign
The Government of India has set ambitious targets under the Accessible India campaign with a fixed time frame, which is as follows.
To check the accessibility of the most important public buildings and turning them into fully accessible buildings.
- By July 2016, check the easement of at least 50 most important government buildings in 26 cities and convert them into fully accessible buildings.
- By July 2016, at least 25 of the most important government buildings in 24 cities have been tested for accessibility and converted into fully accessible buildings.
- It converts 50% of government buildings of the National Capital Territory of Delhi and all state capitals into fully accessible buildings by July 2018.
- By July 2019, 50% of the government buildings of 10 important cities/towns of all states will be easily tested and converted into fully accessible buildings.
The Government conducts accessibility checks of all international airports, railway stations, government-owned public transport vehicles and converts them into fully accessible international airports, railway stations, and public transport vehicles.
- Govt are Conducting accessibility of all international airports by July 2016 and converting them into fully accessible international airports.
- Conducting accessibility checks of all domestic airports by March 2018, converting them into fully accessible airports
- All A1, A and B categories of railway stations will convert into fully accessible railway stations by July 2016.
- Change of 50% of railway stations in the country to fully accessible railway stations by March 2018.
- 25% of state-owned public transport carriers to be converted into fully accessible transport vehicles by March 2018.
- To be fully accessible by March 2017 by checking the accessibility of all public documents and government websites up to 50%.
Govt is conducting 50% accessibility of government websites (both central and state governments) by March 2017 and converting them to fully accessible websites.
- All public documents issued by the Central and State Governments by March 2018 have to be converted to at least 50% conformity to accessibility standards.
- To ensure training and development of 200 additional sign language lecturers by March 2018.
- Develop and adopt national standards on captions and interpretation in sign language by July 2016 in consultation with the officials of the national media.
- All public television programs released by government channels by March 2018 are to meet accessibility standards.
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment of the Government of India expects cooperation from all the Central Government Departments / Ministries and State Governments to create accessible police stations, accessible hospitals, accessible tourist destinations, accessible digital India etc.
How to register/log in on Sugamya Bharat Portal?
If a citizen wants to join the Accessible India Campaign portal and register on the official website, follow the steps given below.
- First of all, visit the official website of the Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan. The official website’s home page will open.
- If you are already registered on the Accessible India Campaign portal, then the option of ‘Registered User? / Login Here’ will appear on the Right Side of the Top Header on the home page. Click on the option of ‘Registered User? Login Here‘.
- The Login Page will open where you fill your Mobile Number / Email ID and Password in the prescribed column. Fill in the given Captcha Code in the provided field and click on the Sign-UP button.
- If you are using this portal for the first time, then the option of ‘New User / Sign Here’ will appear on the Right Side of the Top Header on the Home Page. Click on the button ‘New User?/Sign Here‘.
- The User Registration Form will open. In the User Registration Form, fill your name, e-mail address, mobile number, address in the given fields. Select your district from the drop-down list.
- Select your photo and upload it, and set your password. Fill in the given Captcha Code in the provided fields and click on the Submit button.
- In this way, your registration will be done on the Sugamya Bharat portal. You will get a User ID & Password on your Mobile Number and e-mail, with the help of which you can easily log on to the Accessible India Campaign portal.
How To Give Feedback On Accessible India?
If a citizen wants to give his feedback regarding the Accessible India Campaign from the Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan Portal, follow the steps given below.
- First of all, visit the official website of Accessible India Campaign. The official website’s home page will open.
- If you are already registered on the Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan portal, then the feedback option will appear in the footer on the home page.
- Click on the link for feedback. The feedback form will open where you fill in your name, E-mail Address, Contact number in the given column.
- Type your feedback in the Comment box. Fill in the given Captcha Code in the provided field and click on the Submit button.
- By clicking on the submit button, your feedback will be submitted on the accessible India portal.
Accessible India Portal Helpline Number
Through this post, detailed information has been provided on all aspects of Accessible India Campaign. If, after reading this post thoroughly, any person needs information regarding the Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan, he can call the contact number at the address given below.
Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities,
Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment,
B-II Block, 5th Floor,
Paryavaran Bhawan, CGO Complex, Lodhi Road,
New Delhi – 110003 (India).
The Accessible India Campaign is an important initiative of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India, regarding the PwDs. Under this campaign, public services, transport equipment, documents etc., have been started to make people with disabilities friendly. So that people with disabilities can get relief from the inconvenience caused.
For the successful implementation of this scheme, the Government of India has launched the Sugamya Bharat portal and the Sugamya Bharat mobile application. Using these platforms, any citizen can give information about incompatibility in public places or upload photos or videos.
FAQs Related To Accessible India Campaign
Q. 1. Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan has been started by which government department?
Ans: – Accessible India Campaign was started on 3 Dec 2015 by the Department of Public Empowerment, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India.
Q.-2. When and by whom was the Accessible India campaign started?
Ans: – Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan was launched by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi from Vigyan Bhawan Delhi on 3 Dec 2015 on International Day of the Disabled.
Q.-3. Who launched Sugamya Bharat App?
Ans: – The Sugamya Bharat mobile app was launched by Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Thawarchand Gehlot on 2 Feb 2021.
Also Read : – What is the Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana (RVY) ?